Current:Home > MarketsAnother U.S. evacuation attempt from Sudan wouldn't be safe, top U.S. official says -FutureFinance
Another U.S. evacuation attempt from Sudan wouldn't be safe, top U.S. official says
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:05:43
Due to the ongoing violence in Sudan that has left hundreds of people dead, it is unsafe to conduct another coordinated evacuation for remaining U.S. citizens, John Kirby, National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications, told "CBS Mornings" on Monday.
"We're going to do everything we can to help guide people, get them the information they need to get out safely," Kirby said. "But it is not safe right now for another evacuation attempt. That would actually put Americans in more danger, not less."
The White House announced Saturday that the U.S. military successfully evacuated American government employees from the U.S. embassy in Khartoum. The evacuation of roughly 70 U.S. government workers had been in the planning stages all week after fighting increased in Sudan's capital.
"Within that course of a week, we moved from ... just urging both sides to abide by a ceasefire, which of course we still do, to feeling like it wasn't safe enough for our diplomats and or embassy to stay manned there and operating, and so we moved them out," said Kirby.
The U.S. State Department confirmed that the U.S. Embassy in Sudan has temporarily closed and said it is unable to offer routine or emergency consular services to U.S. citizens in Sudan due to the ongoing security situation.
Sudan is seeing deadly fighting between the Sudanese Armed Forces, led by General Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, led by General Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo. Violence broke out earlier this month due to a disagreement between the two generals over how to consolidate their forces, which has resulted in over 400 deaths, including one U.S. citizen, and multiple failed ceasefire attempts.
According to Kirby, thousands of American citizens live and work in Sudan. Most of them are dual nationals with familial and business ties to Sudan who do not wish to evacuate.
Others, however, work for U.S. partner agencies like USAID or teach at the local American school and want to leave. Several dozen Americans are currently on their way to Port Sudan on the Red Sea as part of a UN convoy that the U.S. military is overseeing through unmanned assets, Kirby said.
He said the U.S. is looking at putting naval assets in the Red Sea, near Port Sudan, to help with any evacuation or assistance that U.S. citizens might need.
A U.S. official told CBS News later on Monday that the U.S. plans to send a contingent of troops to Port Sudan to coordinate the arrival and departure of Americans. Only one U.S. Navy ship — a destroyer — is currently in the Red Sea, and a supply ship belonging to the Military Sealift Command is en route. A plan for evacuation from Port Sudan is still being worked on, but the most likely scenario is that commercial ferries will take people across to Jeddah, a port city in Saudi Arabia, the official said.
Kirby advises all Americans who haven't already heeded warnings to leave Sudan to shelter in place due to violence in Khartoum.
"This is not the time to be moving around the city," he said.
CBS News' David Martin contributed to this article.
- In:
- Sudan
veryGood! (981)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Authorities investigating Impact Plastics in Tennessee after workers died in flooding
- Black bear found dead on Tennessee highway next to pancakes
- Why Real Housewives of Potomac's Karen Huger Feels Gratitude After DUI Car Accident
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Roots Actor John Amos’ Cause of Death Revealed
- Amazon Prime Big Deal Days 2024: What to know about the sales event and preview of deals
- It's not easy to change in baseball. But that's what the Detroit Tigers did, amazingly
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Amazon Prime Big Deal Days 2024: What to know about the sales event and preview of deals
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Teacher still missing after Helene floods pushed entire home into North Carolina river
- It's not easy to change in baseball. But that's what the Detroit Tigers did, amazingly
- DPR members talk Dream Reborn tour, performing: 'You realize it's not just about you'
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Hurricane Kirk strengthens into a Category 3 storm in the Atlantic
- Brittany Cartwright Claps Back at Jax Taylor’s Response About Being Legally Married
- Australian TV Host Fiona MacDonald Announces Her Own Death After Battle With Rare Disorder
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Meet the Sexy (and Shirtless) Hosts of E!'s Steamy New Digital Series Hot Goss
Why Olivia Munn's New Photo of Her and John Mulaney's Baby Girl Marks a Milestone in Her Health Journey
Raiders' Antonio Pierce dodges Davante Adams trade questions amid rumors
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
'Golden Bachelorette' recap: Kickball kaboom as Gerry Turner, Wayne Newton surprise
Biden arrives in SC amid states' grueling recovery from Helene: Live updates
Influential prophesizing pastors believe reelecting Trump is a win in the war of angels and demons